August 11, 2014

Alpha 10: Population Planner and Research Crews

Beside the implementation of the common core, I am working on the design of the Population Planner, which will be also implemented for this alpha 10.
What it is and what is the link with the research & development system (RDS)?
If you don't know yet, the population in FARC has three possible races (humans, clones and artificial intelligences) and each of these can have one or more than one ethnic group and each of these have at least one category, like Engineers for the baseline ethnic group of the human race. The assignment of the population to the different tasks, as staff for infrastructures and crews for space units, and the training to allow part of population of a category to switch to one other is entirely automated and use sets of rules related to the General Population Rules set into the Population Planner.
The Population Planner is a set of rules that affect the population of each faction, and its interface for the player will be located into a tab of the Unified Management Interface. Out of this rules setting, the management of the population is entirely automated and doesn't require any more action from the player and AI. These rules are at the faction level and so affect any colony of a same faction but in the interface, and the AI code, it will be possible to override these rules for a particular colony and thus taking in account the particularity of each colony if needed.

The RDS also use this Population Planner by adding a subsection to set a rule for the research crews and to tell the game how the pool of research crews must be managed, how it must be used to assign crew to an intelligence infrastructure and also of course to determine the training rules.

So that's it, another thing to implement for this alpha 10, it is not surprising that the changes list for this alpha 10 growing over the time, even if slowly.

Stay tuned.

August 6, 2014

Secondary and Dev News: FARC on GitHub, Change in the Common Core

I decided to move the source of FARC to GitHub.

The page of the project is here.

The alpha 10 and all subsequent releases will be put also on GitHub; at least anything will be at the same place. I don't know which limitations are imposed by GitHub concerning the releases size but anyway the process was easy and painless.

I would also like a public bugtracker but GitHub doesn't provide that, only if you are already registered on this site.

That's all, I continue to implementing the common core.

Oh by the way I dropped the idea to have the setting of the technosciences and fundamental researches for the factions made entirely by design. The tech for the non player factions are instead generated by following the guidelines of their common core orientations. Some key tech can be specified by design but they are only specific cases based on the faction's history and culture.

That's all, stay tuned.

July 30, 2014

Alpha 10: Factions Change and Refinements

I finished the design of the Common Core rules.

I now updating the design of the only, for now, available faction in the game concerning its own common core and the pre-setup for the player's faction common core. I modified some things like the faction in the game aren't playable factions anymore but power blocs. Why? Because this denomination wasn't true since the player hasn't directly the control of one of them but depends on it. Also there will be more than 8 in game factions the player could join, I can't say how much yet, especially since the 8 ones aren't even fully implemented, but we will see.

So the plan is that I finish anything concerning the design of the common core for the extrasolar power block Magellan Unity, I implement it in the game database and I finally coding the common core rules. After that I will update finally the unified interface to display a basic interface for the research & development system and I will implement the RDS afterward. Meanwhile I will also update the infrastructure's data structure regarding the research & development too.

This project is a long and uncertain but never boring path.

July 25, 2014

Alpha 10: Common Core

I currently working on the common core of technologies for the factions, including the player's factions.
For reminder, the common core rules will do two things:
  • For the non player's factions, the common core of technosciences and fundamental researches will exist already by design, but semi-random calculations will be applied onto the technosciences' development levels, so that will change from one game to another. Does it make a difference into a fixed/designed configuration? Yes since the development level define the quality of infrastructures, products and equipment modules built, produced and designed by each faction. It would be certainly cool to randomize entirely the tech setup for these factions, but since FARC is a game based on a background/back story I want to keep a certain coherence. But there is one point: I plan to generate minor factions completely dynamically, and in this case their common core will be completely random.
  • For the player's faction the basis of the common core include all the technosciences and fundamental researches of level 1. Each technosciences are mastered at the development level 1 of 10. The rest of the setup is semi randomized by taking in account the player's faction of allegiance and particularly its technological orientations to keep the player's faction in coherence with its allegiance faction, but yes the setup will be different from one game to another in the spirit of the dynamic layer subsystem of the research & development system that will be implemented.
So that's it, I working to implement that and it is mainly under the hood but, after this step, I will finally start to update the unified management interface with a prototype for the research & development.