Well it has been a long time (since September 21) w/o any post and SVN commits, due to some overtime and free time laziness. But it's done and the project is back again.
I completed many parts of the game system concerning the transition rule and particularly the staff, it wasn't a big deal but the routines weren't completed at 100%.
Now I begin to work on the production segment itself, but just before that, i need to implement the resource data for each region of each orbital objects included in the testing planetary system.
Resources are the basic products a colony can produce. They are directly extracted from an orbital object's environment. Most common resources are water, hydrogen and carbonaceous ore, but they have many others (15 in total for now).
Resources can have 2 kinds of origin: the Direct Resources Locations (or DRL) and the Resource Spots.
Both the resources spots and DRL appear in the resources list of the current region.
The Direct Resources Location (or DRL) are origins that doesn't requires any resource survey before to be exploited by the player/AI.
There's 5 types of DRL:
- Atmosphere: if an orbital object has an atmosphere it's possible to extract some of it's gases for storage and later use in game. Of course all depends of the atmosphere composition because only a few of these gases are usable. The list of these usable gases in the game is the following: Argon, Nitrogen, Oxygen, Hydrogen and Methane. Depending on the importance of these gases in the atmosphere, a production infrastructure can extract more of less of them.
- Arable Lands: if a region has a type of terrain named Arid / Fertile / Coastal Arid / Coastal Fertile with a Liquid Water hydrosphere it has arable land for direct farming.
- Edible Fauna/Flora: if an orbital object's biosphere class is Carbon-Based the fauna is edible.
- Hydrosphere: this DRL indicate that exist exploitable local hydro sources. Of course it depends on the orbital object's hydrosphere type, only Liquid Water, Liquid Ammonia and Liquid Methane are taken in account. A local hydro source can be a river or a lake for example.
- Oceanic: this DRL is available for any coastal region. The sea/ocean is directly exploitable and used by the Sea Pumping & Filtering production mode.
The resources spots requires that a preliminary resource survey is made, There's actually 5 types of resource spots, detailed below:
- Gas Field: is a underground gas pocket from where the gases can be pumped, exploited by Natural Gas Processing production mode. The spot indicate the proportion of each gas in the field that can be extracted, so the % for the CH4 and N2.
- Hydrosphere Well
- Icy Ore Field: like Ore Field but for Icy Ore extraction.
- Ore Field: more or less underground ore lode. The nature and volume of the ore contained in this lode is listed by product with a %. Possible products that can be in a Ore Field are the following:
- Carbonaceous Ore
- Metallic Ore
- Rare Metals Ore
- Uranium Ore
- Underground Water
These spots are listed when they're discovered and have a size data which indicate the total size in infrastructure levels. This size is used to cap the number of infrastructures assembled or built on these resources spots.
I hope the above is clear. Anyway it's that i implementing now, it should not take long since it's only data management code and an update of the region's data structure.
After that i'll implement the production segment (yup it's the fourth post that i saying that...) and will test it with resource extraction.
There will be also an interface update to show the colony's storage and production matrix.