Alpha 6 [0.6.0] Dev Status: Surface Maps Generation (WIP) & Fractal Terrains (Done)

Sorry for the lack of pull of code but I finishing the Fractal Terrains procedure, for surface map generation.

I worked all this weekend for sorting and selecting climates files for FARC, among 240. These one allow generating different flavor of flora/terrain according. I sorted those I will use by star type and age classification, based on some sources I found on the net.

I also finally decided which render I will use for the maps, and it will be Image Climate instead of the too generic Gaia shader. Altitude render will be also used sometimes.
That's one problem with Fractal Terrains, because the software has been designed for topographic render not for a purpose of game development! But it's OK with the climate image one.

For example, a map with a matching Earthly climate and a G2 star looks like this:



Around an old K star:



Around a F5 star:



Around a A5 star:



and finally around a M star:



I have also custom climate files that I made for O/B stars but the statistics to have flora in worlds around such stars, even in my generator, aren't much.


The ocean color can also be changed to many flavors, with more than 100 coloration files, from a NASA/Blue planet style, as used above, toward a Venusian/Martian/Icy/Desert/Sterile one.

I know that I make free advertisement with this software since the last posts, but I like this piece of tool :)

So now, I go to finally complete the first phase of the surface maps generation, in the FUG.

It's time, because the deadline coming and I really want to NOT release the alpha 6 too late!

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Someone asked me in a forum (yes you G... :P ) why in these examples the polar caps were the same, even with different stars, it's just because I was lazy to generate a COMPLETE surface maps to show only the flora/climate colors lol.
    On the final and "real" surface maps that will be generated for the first planetary system of the game, the behavior of the polar caps will be of course very different from an orbital object to another one.

    ReplyDelete