Alpha 10: Training Methodologies

Since I working on the design of the Instruction and Training (IT) rules with the goal to complete them and implement them into this alpha 10 I can say some words about it.

In each race, which for reminding are humans, clones and artificial intelligences, and their ethnic groups there are different categories of population. Some are basic some are more specialized in particular domains. The IT rules have for use to simulate the transition of parts of a population from a category to another one and, for the most common case, from the basic categories to more speicalized ones.

I reduced the micromanagement by two ways: first, the training methodology (TM) employed by a faction is precisely faction-wide. So there's is only one data at the faction level to determine which one is used in all the faction's colonies. Two, the system of repartition is entirely automated and doesn't need any input from the player/AIs, but they can override occasionally the system for an emergency or force it for strategic purpose.
I wanted at the start a system of priorities with some sliders as for sole user's interface, but managing it for each colony would be a boring chore.

There are 7 TM that affect training and instruction speed. They also can affect other things like in the socio-political matrix or the research and development system but I will not explain these details in this post. The list below describe each method.

  • Human to Human: the most ancient form to pass knowledge and train students. Doesn't require any particular technology even if it can use some equipment to support the method. It is the most basic method and is applied by default.
  • Brain Enhancement Drugs: this method is basically the Human to Human improved by the distribution to students of brain enhancement drugs. These have for usefulness to reduce the training time and are also not without any side effects.
  • Cyber-Teacher: use the help of non sentient AIs (as a minimum) to replace the human interaction. It regroup the knowledge of a database with the explanations and support of a dedicated artificial intelligence.
  • Accelerated Life Simulation: this method is inspired from a sci-fi story I read some years ago. It combines virtual reality with a full scale neuro-stimulation permitting to give accelerated "real" experiences to the student, so he/she practically learns by experiencing fast forward different life situations. This method a big step from the precedent one.
  • Hypno-Education: method to "inprint" knowledge into a student's brain set in a state of deep hypnosis in a non-invasive way. It doesn't provide a complete understanding but sort of "bury" the basics that become natural to the student.
  • Direct Brain Training: this method uses of a direct neural interface to directly upload knowledge to the student's brain. It doesn't spare him/her to train and experiment this new knowledge. Compared to hypno-education, it is an invasive way.
  • Hive-Learning: this method is for the clone and AIs race only. It allow a transfer of knowledge among single-minded brains, the distribution is quasi in realtime.

That's all for now.

Comments

  1. I finally found where I picked the inspiration for the Accelerated Life Simulation; it's from the Forever War book from Joe Haldeman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work.

    I can't currently play it. I click the app, and it spins, but nothing happens. On Win 8. Tried compatibility mode, Administrator.

    I've seen others have had it before, and you tried to look into it. Did you ever solve it?

    Again, looks really awesome. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon Zach and thanks for the support!
      FARC isn't really tested on Win 8 since my box is on Win7, but I quickly look into a Win 8 virtual machine I have and it works, even the alpha 7.
      By any chance, have you a web browser already launched when you try to exec FARC? Because I tried some things but it seems that the web browser for certain users prevent the lauch of FARC, and I honestly don't know why, at least I have perhaps an idea that something is wrong with the old OpenGL framework I use in it.
      If it is the case, please just try to close completely your web browser and try again. I know, that's not pretty but until that I find a workaround...
      As an alternative you can also test this exe: https://www.dropbox.com/s/asx1qv3gxg190t7/farcA10test.7z It is the current alpha 10, don't start a game with it, because it's the dev version and some parts aren't finished, just tranfer and overwrite the files into your install dir and look if FARC launch correctly with it. Sorry for the convenience and thanks again, this slow and mad project is far to be completed yet.

      Delete
    2. Hey,

      I have the same problem on win7. I also tried the files from the link you posted. Did not change anything. Anyways the .exe does start a process, which can be seen in the windows task manager, but it seems to be running in the background.

      Delete
    3. OK... test with this one by overriding the .exe in your install dir: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eheg3975n9aygcq/farcolony-take2.7z
      If the window shows up just close it that will complete the test. I'm sorry to proceed like that but I can't reproduce this bug in either my PC or any VMs I have ;(

      Delete
    4. Ne problem, thanks for makeing a game like that. They are rare! The window does open.

      Delete
    5. No problem and thanks for your support! Even if it's not a mainstream one, I implementing at least what I always wanted to do with it and if I can share it with even a few number of people around this world it's even better :]

      Cool, at least finally we hold something because I have disabled only a few things.
      Can you test with this one now? https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3er6mmy7mxt4cc/farcolony-take3.7z

      Delete
    6. OK last take: https://www.dropbox.com/s/08rjft78um2evbw/farcolony-take4_final.7z
      If this one pass it was just a question of ONE parameter :)

      Delete
    7. No, that's not it. Ill try on my laptop later

      Delete
    8. Please test this one then :( https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqdeeyvfaemrelo/farcolony-take5.7z

      Delete
    9. This one works (The window does open)! Thanks for your patience

      Delete
    10. Allelujah! finally. The PITA code was the one that load the game's fonts by using Windows messaging. Apparently with the Delphi version I using the SendMessage(HWND_BROADCAST, WM_FONTCHANGE, 0, 0) works partially. Anyway that was the only thing I changed so that's OK. Back to work! And thank you for this bug testing :) Strangely FARC's window appear a bit faster than before on my PC now.

      Delete
  3. I like how this is turning out, it seems that all of the colonies will start out human and with human traditions, but possibly by the time whatever faction you have makes contact with them, they might be a bunch of cyborg clones connected to a hive-mind. Or even your faction might end up that way depending on the the choices.

    I look forward to testing the next version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sigma. Yeah for now only the human race is in the game but I continue the design of the other ones. Normally, AIs will be included already into certain population, especially with those on Earth but also on certain independent colonies. Their acceptance will depends on the Socio-Political System set at the faction level, that answer your "Or even your faction might end up that way depending on the choices". The clone race is apart, I don't know yet if I will blend them with other races or makes it exclusive out the others into a colony. AIs will be generated by certain infrastructures, and also will expand like for the humans by an emigration/immigration system. And yes AIs by nature haven't a physical form because they are "stored" into data centers but they can upload themselves into cybershells/bioroids. I don't know yet how to put as gameplay this last particularity but I will implement it for sure. So what I would like is to try to generate mixed populations like for ex partly with baseline and genemods humans cohabiting with sentient and non sentient AIs. I really think that a clone's population will be exclusive into the population of a colony; it's really a special case vs. the other races. So there are my 2 cents on this subject, it's far-fetched yet because I need to implement basic systems again but the game design on it progressing.

      Delete
  4. Just came here from Rock Paper Shotgun to say I had completely forgotten about this game, and I appreciate your commitment and the fact that, many years in, you are still working on it. I am really hyped to see the changes since about beta 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was meant to say alpha, since beta obviously doesn't exist yet.

      Delete
    2. Hey thank you for your support :) Yeah the development progress as fast as a turtle but I really want to finally complete it, even with less basic features. Anyway I will no stop the dev, I'm committed on it for many years. The only thing is that I can't work fulltime on it, but it's one of the cons of the open source world.

      Delete
  5. So far, so good. I like how you managed to create something so awesome, and yet so much missing features. I have really high hopes for this proyect. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for your support! :)
      That will be better if at least I manage something finally playable, it's why I reduced the features for this first stage, to be able to deliver in a reasonable time frame. But by the way it's a mad project and I will continue to stick on it for many years to come, so let's the show continue! Thanks again! Cheers!

      Delete

Post a Comment